Friday, August 22, 2008

A New Job!

Well, it's official. Wednesday morning at 10:00am, I was hired to teach 4th grade at Mountainview Elementary School, here in Yakima. I am ecstatic!! A little nervous, but very excited! The school happens to be the same school that I did a long term 2nd grade class last year, so I already knew that I liked the staff and the principal. (There's nothing scarier than going into a school without knowing at least someone!)
The last couple of days, I have been busy with district seminars so I haven't had much time in my classroom. I am very fortunate to work with some very helpful and giving people who have worked hard to make sure I have furniture in my room. (I'm in a portable that was previously a before and after school care room.) Today, I have a "New to the 4th Grade" class with a seasoned 4th grade teacher at a different school. She will be introducing us to the curriculm, report cards and such. Hopefully, between now and next Tuesday (when school starts...) I will have a chance to get into my room and organize everything, maybe get some desks for the students, write some lesson plans, put up some whiteboards, cry, weep, re-write my name tags because my class list will change, re-organize the room because "it just doesn't look right"....you know the drill.
Like I said, I am super excited about my new job. I am up every morning at about 3:30 or 4:00, wide awake, thinking about my classroom. I know I will be running on adrenaline and Folgers (maybe a little Starbucks) for the next few weeks until I get into a groove. I'll let you know when that happens.
Until then, I'll just stock up on coffee and under-eye concealer.

3 comments:

Tara Lee said...

Congratulations!! Very exciting.

Mike and Lonni said...

We are so happy for you! We know this is what you wanted.

Now you will look as tired as Mark and Maggie do in your camping pictures!

The Chargualaf Family said...

Yay! I am SO excited for you! I also taught 4th grade (for one year) and was hired literally days before school started. Yes... double-latte breakfasts and very little sleep...adrenaline, insomnia, "oh-my-gosh-they'll-be-taking-the-WASL" fears... It was actually my most rewarding year of teaching. :0) May it be the same for you!
Best wishes to you! and God bless your year!!!!
-Linda